Thursday, December 17, 2009

21, freezing, and fabulous

Firstly, I am so sorry I am not putting up any photos! Honestly, I haven't taken any. Its not my natural tendency to snap away with a camera on every street corner, taking photos of every street front. I don't like to look like a tourist (although the perpetually confused expression and the map may do that anyway). Also, its difficult to juggle a camera with a heavy handbag on one shoulder, a shopping bag in one hand and you're wearing so many layers that its difficult to move your arms. Also, its FREAKING cold here, especially today. I figured that the best way to not become a frozen street statue is to keep moving as fast as possible. HOWEVER, I promise I try harder to use that camera I got for my last birthday, if only to prove that I am actually here doing these things.
Moving on! I am having a lovely birthday! Although it did get off to a rocky start. I have been having issues with sleeping past 3 AM, which is both annoying and boring, except when you meet cute Danes in the common room of the hostel. However, at 6 AM this morning I woke up having a panic attack, with my heart racing. That is when my homesickness gets to me, very early in the morning when there is no one around and I can't go anywhere and do something, which is actually really impractical. The good thing is that I manage to calm myself down and when I get up and out for the day, I am too distracted by everything to get upset before 3 AM the next day. So fingers crossed I won't wake up at 3 AM tomorrow morning!
Getting to what I actually did for my birthday, I had a fantastic tour around downtown with a local New Yorker. The service is called Big Apple Greeter, its free, and my guide Gustavo was so cool! If you a planning a trip here, definitely give this a go, but make sure you book a month or so in advance.
Onto the fashion aspect of this blog, Downtown Manhattan is my heaven! This area includes Chelsea and the Meatpacking District (if you have heard of these areas). I WALKED PAST CARRIE BRADSHAW'S FRONT DOOR!!! And can I just say, we were walking down the street, and I spotted it from 5 doors down, Gustavo was very impressed.
There was a line outside the Marc by Marc Jacobs store, so I lined up to see what all the fuss was about. EVERYTHING WAS LESS THAN $100! If that was not New York saying "Happy Birthday Kate" I don't know what is.

This is my gorgeous birthday present to myself. I got a few other things as well, but this is the special one.
Next, I went to the original Magnolia Bakery, also featured in Sex and the City. For $5, I got myself two birthday chocolate cupcakes. Coolest 21st birthday cake I could imagine!
At this point the cold was getting a bit painful, so I headed back Uptown on the Subway to my hostel. It was lovely to wrap up my day with a call to my folks back home! I am just going to do a bit of research about what I might get up to tomorrow before I try to get some sleep.
Finally, I felt slightly over-dressed heading out in my fur coat last night to get McDonald's. In my defense, it is the warmest thing I have with me. However, the adventurous fashion spirit of New York encouraged me when I passed man wearing a much more pimpin fur coat, fur ear muffs, snakeskin shoes and more bling than I actually own.
This is clearly the place for me.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment