Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I swear, I did not buy 10 kilograms worth of clothes

More importantly, I must REALLY love everything I paid so much for to struggle with 40kgs of luggage halfway across the world. Quite frankly, yes, I do. I spent the majority of the flight home imagining all the outfits I can put together to go with my Givenchy gems and now I just need to dig myself out of the mess of unpacking so I can go out and wear said dream outfits!
I was confronted with an interesting concept whilst unpacking my room with a dear friend this afternoon and he stumbled upon my scrapbook of sketches and cut-out pictures from magazines. He commented that in some of the shots from runway shows, things like the hair and make-up seemed totally outrageous, so much so that it actually detracted attention from the clothes. I used the following example from John Galliano's 2005 S/S collection for Christian Dior to illustrate my explanation for all the theatricality:

My theory is that the runway show of any design house is the most concentrated version of the collection. The hair, the make-up, the selection of models and the combination of the different pieces are all chosen in order to express the designers inspiration for that season. This Dior show, for example, used very elaborate make-up and hair designs that strongly evoked the 1970's/Hippie inspiration for the collection. The intention of such exaggeration is not to suggest that girls start to go crazy with purple glitter eye shadow, but to give a clear reference for the collection and to fashionistas everywhere. If you a having a hippie moment, then pairing the "Dior Not War" top with flared jeans and lots of necklaces can be your more wearable moment of John Galliano's vision. The theatrics are so important in order to inspire trends. It is so much more creative and invigorating to display a collection with the full support of hair, make-up and accessories than to just send the clothes out on bare models. It is rare that anyone would buy a complete look from a collection and wear it exactly as it was styled on the runway. The pieces that tend to be the most popular are those that are not the collections "signature" pieces, but the ones that are more classic, versatile, and less likely to date. However, if a girl is able to accompany that piece with their version of the collections make-up look, that enables them to get into the particular character that the show represented.
I must be in a Dior mood, because I am using another brilliant Galliano example:

This is from the '09 Couture collection, which makes the collection as itself even less accessible, as the couture collections generally contain the most extravagant pieces and concepts that can barely even find a place of the red carpet, let alone to a bar for Friday night drinks. However, to me, the girls in this collection look incredibly sophisticated and sexy. So, when I feel the need to step out with my best 1950's sex bomb attitude, I throw a dress on top of my suspenders and stockings and do my best impersonation of Dior's eyeliner flick and bright red lips. It works, and I don't destroy the innocence of children on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment