Saturday, December 26, 2009

You only live once... and I will do so with beautiful shoes in my closet and nothing in my bank account!

There are several ways to spend your last day in New York. You can be a good, sensible girl and curl up in your bed and read the book your lovely friend gave you about traveling while the rain falls outside your window. Or you can have an attack of temporary insanity. Firstly, I have been battling a cold since two days after I arrived here and I proceeded to head out into the rain without an umbrella. I apologize in advance to Sydney, I will be the one spreading the cold when I get back in 4 days. Secondly, I have already spent all of my money. Well, all of the money that I had absolutely limited myself to so I can pay off a big chunk of the loan that I took out to finance this adventure. I told myself "Kate, you are cutting your trip short by 6 weeks, DO NOT SPEND ALL OF THAT MONEY THAT WAS MEANT TO FEED YOU FOR THE NEXT MONTH AND A HALF". Thirdly, I have a distinct feeling that I may have already breached my luggage weight restrictions.
However, for as long as I can remember, I have never missed the Boxing Day Sales. It is the best part of Christmas for me. So, even though they don;t celebrate Boxing Day over here, I figured it was my patriotic duty to carry on the tradition.

Oh, and did I do our country proud... except if my Dad ever reads this blog, he will be the most unimpressed Australian, ever.

I started off well. I wasn't really impressed by anything until I stepped into DKNY on Madison Avenue, dripping like a nearly-drowned rat. I found a gorgeous little denim motorcycle jacket for $80, score! This purchase is an example of buying something, not because you were specifically looking for that item, but because you know you probably won't be able to find that item, by that designer, that fits you so well, for that price again, in New York. Most of my wardrobe is made up of those kinds of purchases. Personally, I think its the best way to shop, because even though I may have needed a pair of black ballet flats for months, if every time I shop, I do it with an open mind about what I might find, eventually I find a bargain in the form of black ballet flats. And along the way, I pick up all sorts of magical things that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed, being so focused on black ballet flats.

Unfortunately for my bank balance (not for me, I couldn't be happier) Barneys is across the road from DKNY. I had been in there earlier in the week, and I had also been to the Co-Op store in Chelsea. Its very lovely and very expensive. However, they had an offer of an additional 33% off already reduced stock. Duh, I am going to look. Well, maybe not just look. I actually don't even think I made it to the clothes. In my soaked, sniffling, bleary minded state, I decided to check out the designer shoe department. And about 15 minutes later was kissing goodbye what will take me about 2 weeks to earn when I get another job. In the form of these absolute beauties:



Look down past the pretty face and pretty, yet boring sweater dress, and the very decent legs and you arrive in heaven. Heaven is a pair of Givenchy Studded Zip Sandals. With a 12cm heel. In my defense, I did try to frantically call my friend in fashion crime, Zoe, before I handed over my card. It was about 5am in Sydney and she didn't pick up. So really, I can't be held responsible if I end up regretting this because I am on the street with nothing but these shoes. Doubt it (not the homeless part, but the regret part. Seriously, I may never take them off)

Well, at least my New York fashion experience ended in with a bang!

1 comment:

  1. What gorgeous shoes! I'm also a sucker for a pretty pair of heels and I'd have done the same in your situation.

    ReplyDelete