Monday, December 21, 2009

Learning the most important fashion lessons from a homeless man on the subway

I have been SO lazy these last few days, so sorry! I get back to my hostel in the evening after a day of shopping and exploring and I immediately loose all motivation to give you an (hopefully) witty and entertaining report of my exploits. Once that happens a few days in a row, I have too many stories and no idea where to start. So I think I might write a few short posts instead of one huge one, making it slightly easier for me to process.

So, Monday I walked down Madison Avenue. This is the kind of street where the stores lock their doors and you have to ring to be allowed in. Even though a lot of the designer boutiques such as Gucci and Anna Sui had 'Sale' signs in the window, no matter how reduced things may have been, I knew I still cannot afford anything that high end. Even if I could, I still have mixed feelings about carrying around things that are worth THAT much. I think I would be constantly paranoid that I would ruin it (very likely) or it would get stolen. Therefore, I checked out boutiques carrying a range of different local and international designers as well as the department store Barney's.
Shockingly, I found something for summer! A gorgeous tartan print cotton mini-dress that I am so excited to try with those Alexander Wang ankle boots.
Speaking of summer, I have some news! I will be heading home next Monday! As is my nature, I always quickly realise when a situation is not right for me (my lovely Mother pointed out my tendency to jump from one decision to another). I am having a fantastic time, but having a blow-out two weeks shopping, discovering and spoiling myself and then coming home and getting a new job and pursuing my goals for my styling is the best way for me to move forward. As I mentioned, this trip was originally planned for a couple, and living in chilly New York for a month is much better suited for a couple than for a single. But I had to get over here to figure that out and I have no regrets!
This is a blog about fashion and style, not just the cool things I am finding from myself! So I thought I would share a little revelation I had the other day on the Subway. A man who was either homeless or just struggling to get a bit of a break sat down opposite me. He was wearing three puffy winter jackets at once, which even in this weather seemed excessive. He started counting out $1 bills and then sticking them inside his sock. But what I noticed most about this man was the way he took pride in his appearance, even though he clearly had bigger worries on his mind. He picked lint off his track suit pants and re-adjusted the brim on his hat. This is a point on which my Dad and I would disagree, but caring about your appearance is a very significant thing you can do for yourself. Showing that you respect yourself by taking care about your appearance goes a long way in having other people respect you too. My Dad would say that people should respect you no matter what you look like or what you wear, but that isn't the point I am making. No matter what you are wearing, if you care about what you put on your body and the way you look, its showing that you respect yourself. If others don't respect you, that's one thing, but self-respect is important and something only you have the power to control. As I sat their observing this gentleman, I was dressed up for the first time in weeks. Seriously, I hadn't even put make-up on since I had finished work. I hadn't been bothered about what I looked like, I had no one in particular that I wanted to impress. This guy made me realise that bothering to think about what clothes I put on at the beginning of the day changes my attitude for the rest of it, and the only person that needs to be impressed by my outfit is me.

So there you go! I hope you are all having a very merry Christmas Eve and I look forward to your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment